How to Build your own Belt Conveyor DIY
Are you looking to build a conveyor but not sure how? This web site is the perfect place to start. It will save you money and give you the gratification of completing the project yourself.
The great thing about these kits is building a simple aluminium conveyor could never be easier.
No expensive tools or welding is necessary as it can be assemble with simple hand tools with little knowledge required as the hard bit has already been done with the drive and idler assemblies.
Watch the Video below to see just how easy our kits are to build
Firstly you will need to purchase the parts needed this list should help you.
Step by step guide on how to build a aluminium conveyor belt from a conveyor kit.
We can provide all or some of the parts you need.
Call 01525 850316 for more information.
DIY Conveyor instructions
1. Cut the aluminium profile to size we can do this for you.
2. Lay out the parts and assemble angle brackets ...We can supply angle brackets.
3. Assemble the aluminium profile belt base using the angle brackets and profile.
4. Measure the spacing of brackets and make sure they are square then tighten with an allen key.
5. Balance on table or pre made legs and slide on the idler and drive end drums... square up and secure using the fittings provided. If you would like to build the idler and drive drum from scratch you can see our other video's in this series.
6. Place and secure using double sided tape the metal sheet used for the belt bed.
7. Build the aluminium legs using fittings measure and square up then tighten.
8. Screw in the feet.
9. Add the leg bracket which enable you to angle the conveyor if required.
10. Put end caps on the profile legs
11. Place the top bed with the drums on the legs then carefully slide on the belt.
12. Then secure using the brackets.
13. Place the motor on the drive drum end and secure.
14. If you require a start stop with variable speed you will need to mount the inverter.
15. Wire up the Inverter and motor.
16. Place ends on the idler drum and fix.
17. Then simply plug in and switch on.
What Parts do you need to build your own conveyor
- 1 off idler assembly (pre-built and ready to go with our KIT Conveyor parts)
- 1 drive end assembly (pre-built and ready to go with our KIT Conveyor parts)
- Aluminium extrude for the frame with cable ducts and legs which you can source or purchase from us
- Belt – We can give you the contacts to purchase or we can get for you.
- Motor – We suggest bonfiglioli or SEW gear motors again you can buy direct or purchase from us. You will need an inverter for variable speed or to plug it into a 3 pin socket.
- Feet or casters – These can be bought anywhere but we have a selection that fit
- Aluminium Profile Allen key and screws – These can also be purchased anywhere
Amazingly that is it all of these parts you need and they can be purchased from Kit Conveyors or you can just buy the idler and drive end assemblies.
We have found very few companies that can offer this service and those that do are amazingly over complicated and confusing so if you’re looking to do a DIY Conveyor without the stress and technical hitches then call us now to get your pack of parts.
Aluminium Conveyors are cheap and practical having outstanding properties of strength and incredibly corrosion resistant. Aluminium is also low weight so if you intend building for your customers shipping / transportation will be considerable cheaper than stainless steel or mild steel.
What sizes do we offer?
Well we have limited the widths of the belts to make the build and purchase simple but at the moment we offer ;-
100mm :200mm : 300mm : 400mm : 500mm : 600mm
1 meter : 2 meter : 3 meter : 4 meter : 5 meter :6 meter
Video showing how to build your own conveyor in easy steps.
How to buy the parts for a conveyor
Top Tips when building a Belt Conveyor
- Make sure you have collated all the conveyor parts and lay them out
- Go to a company that provide conveyor kits
- Check you have all the tools to build a conveyor
- Assemble the Idler Drum End
- Assemble the Drive Drum End
- Get the tension right on the belt
- Decide if you need a 3 pin plug if so you will need an inverter
- Decide what type of conveyor motor you require
- Ask for help